As a child, my mother had a lot of wise sayings she used in parenting us, one that has particularly influenced my life is the saying "whatever is worth doing at all is worth doing well". This and many of her other “wise sayings” were repeated so much I figuratively rolled my eyes on hearing them. Today I am thankful she said them so often because they are ingrained in my mind and have helped me become the woman I am today.
We live in a fast-paced world of fast food, drive throughs, smart phones, snap chat videos, instant messaging, and easy access Uber rides...
We live in a fast-paced world of fast food, drive throughs, smart phones, snap chat videos, instant messaging, and easy access Uber rides, we are also in a time where the internet has bridged the gaps in communication between people in different countries and has helped bring information to our door steps.All these things are great and I enjoy many of these “blessings” every so often however, one thing I have also noticed in myself is that we have gotten so used to getting 1-minute Frappuccinos, thanks to Keurig, that we have forgotten that good things take time especially when you’re trying to build a business or a career.
I started my website & graphics design business almost 3 months ago and within that time I have caught myself getting anxious about when my client list would be full to over-flowing. I want my business to grow, I want to have back to back projects, I believe in my business, I believe in helping other businesses grow using digital marketing and I want people to buy into my vision but these things take time. Vision is great, passion is wonderful and believing in your brand is necessary however, earning your stripes is also important.
Except you are an inventor who creates something completely new, chances are that you are going into a space already occupied by other businesses and perhaps major key players which can be nerve racking. My message for you this week is very simple, “Earn your Stripes”. Don’t get anxious about being the next Snapchat, Uber, Le Cordon Bleu, Lori Greiner, Lecrae, Linda Ikeji… fill in the blank based on the market/niche you are in. You need to earn your stripes and this applies whether you are an entrepreneur starting/growing a business or an employee climbing up the corporate ladder. If you are like me you are probably waiting for the imperatives so here it goes.
What can you do while waiting to earn your next stripe?
- Be faithful and diligent in the stage you are in even if you hate the stage or position you occupy: sometimes you have to do a job you don’t necessary enjoy in order to gain the experience you need to get the job you really want. Do it and do it well. I am introverted by nature so being a teacher isn’t necessary a job I would love but I have been a teacher for many years off and on. The feedback I’ve gotten from my superiors while doing these jobs was always excellent and that was because from the onset I have always vowed to give my very best even if it meant needing the occasional massage & glass of wine to alleviate stress.
- Get the formal or informal training you need to move to the next level.
- Practice your craft, sharpen your skill.
- Work for free to get credibility and feedback, yes you read that right. I’ve done this too!
- Avoid shortcuts like the plague! Don’t build your “house” with straws or sand. If you do when the wolves of life come huffing and puffing your house won’t stand because the foundation and structure lacks integrity. Instead take the time needed to build your “house” with brick. Lay your bricks one at a time and give them time to solidify.
- Don’t give excuses. If you want to badly enough you will do what it takes to make it happen.
IF THIS POST HAS BEEN HELPFUL TO YOU PLEASE SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND BUSINESSES YOU WANT TO SEE SUCEED. OH YES AND ALSO REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE. Enjoy the rest of your week!